Wednesday 8 June 2011

Way back when......


If you want more info on what this blog is about have a look at the section over there on the right >>>>  entitled “about this blog” obvious really, but it saves me repeating too much in this first post, lazy eh J
At this point I’m not too sure how frequent the posts will be, like most things I imagine it will be very dependent on the 2 key factors in any sort of project,  time and money, but I would like to think I will post relatively frequently, even if there is not much to report since the previous one.
So, where to start (with the blog not the TV) I know where I’m starting with that and will come to that later. The picture at the top of this post is of its original legshields, complete with various stickers, including an Opel Corsa one with Spanish writing under it, at some point I will post a close up pic and decipher what it says, purely out of curiosity if I’m honest.  Why a Lambretta in Spain had an Opel Corsa sticker I don’t know, maybe it’s a cultural thing?????????????
Along with the above, the legshields are also covered in hand sprayed paint of the strange, sea green variety. Although parts of them do have the original 46yr old light metallic blue factory colour on them (where they attached to the frame and were covered by the horncasting and mudguard). They also have numerous dents and rot hence a replacement pair being used before everything was sent off to paint.
I used as much of the original metal work as possible though, along with various other serviceable parts from the whole scooter, I wanted it to keep as much of its integrity as was possible, taking into account that some things were just not worth saving due to it being financially ridiculous to repair rather than replace them. Engine wise will be a whole different story in relation to “originality” that will be covered at a much later date when I get to that stage lol.
I will finish this first post with a bit of background about the TV, it was bought in from Spain by a guy that is quite an aficionado of Spanish Lambrettas and he had planned on keeping it for himself due to it being the earliest one he knew of (possibly one of the first off the production line) but I had already bought a few off him over the years (more on that in later posts no doubt) and he agreed to part with it. So I acquired it and it was then stripped, relevant repairs made and replacement metal work sourced and sent off for the paint to be done and returned to me.
There the story ended for approximately 6 years (for various reasons I won’t bore you with) but it’s now back in my possession and the rebuild can finally start (6yrs late lol) and I thought that as the poor thing has waited so long I would honour it with its own blog so the progress can be seen by others (if interested) and either way I have a record for posterity’s sake J

I nearly went then before telling you where I’m going to start (I mentioned it earlier in the post and almost forgot, you already had hadn’t you, be honest) The very first thing I will do once finishing my workshop/garage space/build area/ vicinity for to doing mechanical tinkering and greasy playing type thing (not long moved in so pretty much started with a bare garage but it’s almost there) is to take stock of exactly what I have got and make a start on the list of what I need. I will then take pics of all painted metal work (and possibly other things) and load them up into an as yet unmade folder that will be on the blog somewhere. As for what’s first buying wise and building wise, I’m thinking loom and cables but all will become clear over the coming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment