I was quite surprised how well they (the dirty links) came up with a bit of effort. A Dremel is a wonderful thing, certainly made the task of cleaning them and making them shine (in places) a lot easier. As you can see below (in a pic of one of the links back in the forks), once I had cleaned all the decades of grime off, they were returned to their rightful place.
Along with new bushes and bolts, new springs were fitted to the forks as well as new bolt in buffers. It made for an interesting time fitting the links back into the forks, with an uprated spring and large buffers top and bottom (used this combination before and makes for a stiffer suspension with a nice firm ride, works for me). I know people that do undertake this procedure without a fork spring compressor but I'm very much of the opinion that making things as easy as possible for yourself is sensible. So I do, ok maybe not in all aspects of life, or even all aspects of rebuilding IT, but as far as the forks go, easy as possible all the way thank you.
The next pic is the last of this post and isn’t particularly exciting, but I took it anyway so its going on the screen, if you don’t want to look don’t, I cant make that decision for you. All I can do is tell you what the pic contains and you can then make a choice whether to look or not. Its a pic of 3 wonderful items that made putting the links back into the forks much easier (than it would have been without them). The spring compressor, the trusty rubber mallet and a clamp that I used to pull the links into position so I could put the bolts in, first time I had done it this way, goodness knows why I hadn’t sooner, made it sooooooo much easier, no scraped knuckles, scratched paint or expletives, all very civilised.