Monday 31 August 2015

What's in the box?


Go on, tell me, tell me, what's in the box? All will become clear later, but first, I want to talk about studs.

I don't mean a type of piercing, racehorse or gentleman who is popular with the ladies, nor do I mean a piece of timber for fixing plasterboard to, or the thing on the bottom of a football boot.

No, I mean: "a bolt with threads on both ends, to be screwed permanently into a fixed part at one end and receive a nut upon the other; - called also standing bolt" not my definition I hasten to add, but accurate enough. I have used many of them throughout the rebuilding of Izzy's engine but the ones Ii want to talk about today are the chaincase cover ones. Why, aren't they just studs? well, interesting you say that, on one hand (not sure if its the left or right) they are yes, but on the other, they are different. Time for a picture I think, after all, it paints a thousand words apparently. That was an idiomatic expression, who knew (no me neither) but I'm sure some did. By the way, I'm not a big fan of bread (bread products yes, just not the group) but I felt it emphasised my point.

So, back to the task in hand, studs..........



I'm sure by now you know I do like a pic of the same thing, from a different angle, so there are 3 above. Studs in a crankcase, could almost be musical piece couldn't it, "studs in a crankcase" it's not, it's just a description. So, these studs, why so different, well, they have holes in, allen key sized holes, for fitting and removing said studs. I thought it was a cracking idea when I saw them, no more stuck studs that you end up drilling, cutting, heating and  getting extremely frustrated at trying to remove. 



3 more pics, same thing, different angle, but this time with nuts on, how exciting, I know, you're like me, you cant contain yourself can you. On a side note, I'm a bit worried about my chain, its adjusted as it should be (according to those wot know about these sort of things guvnor) but I cant help thinking it should be tighter, still, the play in it is the play its supposed to have so for now its staying that way. If, in the future, changes are needed, then changes they will be made. 

You wanted to know what was in the box didn't you, go on then, I will show you...........


and


Shiny new things, new things all ready to be fitted. Guess that' the next post sorted then :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment